List Censors (Richard Oliver Snelson

Sat, 16 Nov 2002 17:58:12 +0100

"David M. Porritt" wrote:

> One of the dangers in being candid with some people is
> that they'll misquote a private email and post it to the
> list.  That is the case here.

This David an out and out falsehood. I have not misquoted
you in any fashion at all. And as far as the implication of
misrepresentation is contained herein is concerned, you
force me to your origional private "note" to me. I think it
aptly demonstrats the real source of the present minor flame
up.

"David M. Porritt" wrote:

       "Richard: Your comments comparing the US current
administration with Iraq seemed..........well, what's a
kinder word for
       "stupid".  Maybe you missed it but we just had
elections here in this country.  I must have missed the
election results for
       Iraq. dave

Now as I said in my last post, it is not the subject matter
that inflames, it is unprevoked personal derogatory comments
like above. I will leave out your follow up from your next
post...as I would think one such example should suffice.

> The paragraph below in quotes is an accurate
> representation of what I told RicB in a private email.  It
> was in the context of requesting that the subjects of
> politics and religion be omitted from the PTG lists.

Yes, well we see the background and tone of your ....
request.

> My political views were confined to a private post rather
> than a public one. I'll not respond publicly about his or
> my political views.  The meaning he perceived from my
> political views and his negative public response serves as
> a prime example of why we try to keep politics and
> religion off the list.

What the example really shows, is the wisdom of avoiding
name calling, derogatory personal comment, and the like....
especially for someone throwing around official titles.

> Dave
> Poritt,
> co-chair Electronic Communications Committee

and btw... for the record David, your private posts to me
contained none of your political views, and my negative
response stems soley for what appeared to be a warning shot
by you in the name of the Electronic Communications
Committee. If that was a misunderstanding on my part,
perhaps it might have been avoided had you employed a less
aggresive approach in the first place.

Sincerely

--
Richard Brekne