List subject matter was Pray...

Sat, 16 Nov 2002 16:20:36 +0100

"David M. Porritt" wrote:

> AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHH!
>
> Although I would fight to defend your right to have any political
> opinion, I really wish we could keep religion and politics off this
> list.  There are lists for that purpose -- probably hundreds of lists
> for that purpose.  It just does no good, and usually a lot of harm to
> have these discussions here.
>
> Dave Porritt, Co-chair
> Electronic Communications Committee

I appreciate the friendly fashion in which you state your concerns here
Dave.

I understand your views, but feel quite comfortable with the little bit
of kidding around we do on the list and my own ability to keep things
jovial as it were. I have been the first to close off a discussion (from
my side) the minute someone starts personalizing any subject matter. Tho
I admit my first year here was a little bumpy learning how to do just
that. And lately I have been pretty clever at adding the [OT] designation
to posts that I responde to that clearly are non topical.

As far as keeping religious, political, humourous, or even language
content within acceptable norms. I would submit the list does a splendid
job of regulating itself. A bit is tolerated, but if it gets out of hand
somebody always pipes in... we mumble a bit back and forth for a day, and
then we get back to pianos.

What harm eventually is done to the discussions here has far less to do
with subject matter, and far more to do with discussion technique IMHO.
Personalizing a discussion... any discussion, does way more damage then
what the discussion is about.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.