S&S D Duplex

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 06:35:23 -0500

Don Rose posed some good questions. I would also be curious about responses to those.

In the meantime, a few thoughts:

> Reading US Patents 126840 and 5736660  should help you to gain a technical
> grasp of the purposes, nature, and technology of tuning duplex scales. In
> order to do this you will have to buy into the precept that the Library of
> Congress and CFT Steinway have some credibility.

Reading this may well be of benefit. Good suggestion. But please be aware - there are patented singing golf ball toilet paper dispensers out there. A patent only means something unique has been invented, it doesn't necessarily mean it is anything desirable or useful.

> It is interesting to note that the year Baldwin decided to change their scale
> from duplex to acu-just hitch pins marks the year that company began a
> precipitious decline. It is also interesting to note that S & S was the
> originator of the feature, and has remained at the top of the list of pianos
> of high quality.

Please don't think that most pianos are bought by knowledgeable consumers. IMHO, the above likely reflects Baldwin listening to their designers (or, unfortunately, as I think I might understand it, their production folks), and S&S listening to their marketing staff. It ain't in the soundboard, and it ain't in the action - it's in the marketing. And BTW, what "list" are you referring to?

Terry Farrell