S&S D Duplex

Sat, 16 Nov 2002 13:05:04 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> Please don't think that most pianos are bought by knowledgeable consumers. IMHO, the above likely reflects Baldwin listening to their designers (or, unfortunately, as I think I might understand it, their production folks), and S&S listening to their marketing staff. It ain't in the soundboard, and it ain't in the action - it's in the marketing. And BTW, what "list" are you referring to?
>
> Terry Farrell

This actually raises an interesting question... what constitutes "knowledgeable consumers" and what doesnt. I mean sure... most piano buyers havent got a clue concerning technical insights or acoustic physics. Yet many actually have a very large experience base in listening to instruments, many of these with very good musical ears. Their "knowledge" is of a quite different sort indeed. More
aligned to that "mystical realism" our freind Susan (Klein I believe) was on about the other day, and what Isaac explains as the method of "sensation"

And even the inexperienced display some inbuilt sense of what they "like" soundwise and touchwise. How often have we scratched our heads at the George and Marthas with the kids that come into the store and attempt to pick out a "good" instrument. They sit and play this and that instrument... and talk about how they sound and feel in the most general of senses and they listen to what the
sales g(al)uy says..... and they make a descision... based on.... exactly what ??

Ok.. you have the folks who just come in and look for the cheapest possible and dont make even the slightest attempts at evaluating piano characteristics too.. but perhaps we overestimate their numbers ??

Cheers

RicB

--
Richard Brekne