Una Corda Blues

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 20:16:45 -0500

At 3:26 PM -0800 11/14/02, Phillip Ford wrote:
>I have even heard some of them comment
>that the tone is actually louder or more piercing (at the same playing level)
>than without the shift pedal.  I always attributed this to the effects of
>having two strings struck but three strings vibrating, which was affecting the
>tone and causing it to be more 'piercing'.  But it could also be due to the
>phenomenon that you're describing here.

On the other hand, if the action regulation has been set up such that
the hammers fit the strings in the standard position, but fail to do
so consistently in the U.C. position, the U.C. will definitely sound
nastier (which might be described as "louder").

There are pianos whose 2-string U.C. sound in the mid-treble sounds
so thin that I space the hammers for a 3-string U.C. Another one of
these things which you can predict at the outset, like warped hammer
strike lines.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"No one builds the *perfect* piano, you can only remove the obstacles
to that perfection during the building."
     ...........LaRoy Edwards, Yamaha International Corp