Una Corda Blues

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:26:23 -0800

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:24:26 EST Tvak@aol.com wrote:

> In pianistic terms, the left hand often
> dictates the apparent dynamic level
> of the music....
>
> It is the left hand that dictates the dynamic
> level.  So having una corda in
> the right hand only would really make things
> more difficult for the pianist
> using the una corda pedal to achieve PP.  (in
> homophonic settings)
>
> Tom Sivak

This is an interesting comment.  What I thought was the recommended practice
(and what I do) is to set up the shift pedal so that hammers for three string
unisons are striking two strings at full shift, but two string unisons are
still striking two strings at full shift.  But this may be making it harder
for pianists to play more softly.  Good pianists know that the shift pedal is
not a 'soft' pedal but a color pedal.  I have even heard some of them comment
that the tone is actually louder or more piercing (at the same playing level)
than without the shift pedal.  I always attributed this to the effects of
having two strings struck but three strings vibrating, which was affecting the
tone and causing it to be more 'piercing'.  But it could also be due to the
phenomenon that you're describing here.

Phil F