No Glide Bolts

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:35:31 -0800

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:46:46 +0100 Richard Brekne
<Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no> wrote:

> But it almost sounds
> like we should be removeing all these glide
> bolts then instead.
> Thanks for the good advice, one and all.
> --
> Richard Brekne
> RPT, N.P.T.F.
> UiB, Bergen, Norway

Maybe we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that there could be some good
reasons for glide bolts.  I would think that sliding friction would be less
than with an entire rail seated on the keybed.  Also, unless the rail is made
out of very stable material, slighting preloading the rail with glide bolts
may ensure that there is always contact between rail and keybed under all
climatic conditions.  Also, there's the fact that they make adjustment easier
than sanding, sawing, planing, etc.

Phil F