To curl or Not to curl

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 23:56:35 +0100

Hello,

Sorry Wim, it is necessary and done on any grand, and necessary to change it
little when hammer wear occur. Most of the grand's have some design
facilities to do that.

The nylon roller in the blocks of the Steinways seem a good idea for any
grand but on most pianos, the keybed is flat and regulating the pressure is
less important there.

The screw to allow the action to move in and out is a must anyway.

Bests

Isaac O

  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de Wimblees@aol.com
  Envoye : mardi 12 novembre 2002 23:44
  A : pianotech@ptg.org
  Objet : Re: To curl or Not to curl

  In a message dated 11/12/02 4:38:55 PM Central Standard Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

    What I am curious about is whether or not it is a smart idea
    to retrofit other pianos with this kind of insert. Any
    ideas, thoughts ?

    RicB

  I guess it could work. But it is my understanding that the reason Steinway
did it this way, is to accommodate the individual assembly of each Steinway
grand. In other words, in other instruments there is a more accurate hammer
line at the time of manufacturing, and therefore, it's not necessary to move
the action in and out to get the best tone.

  Wim