To curl or Not to curl

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 17:44:10 EST

In a message dated 11/12/02 4:38:55 PM Central Standard Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

> What I am curious about is whether or not it is a smart idea
> to retrofit other pianos with this kind of insert. Any
> ideas, thoughts ?
>
> RicB

I guess it could work. But it is my understanding that the reason Steinway
did it this way, is to accommodate the individual assembly of each Steinway
grand. In other words, in other instruments there is a more accurate hammer
line at the time of manufacturing, and therefore, it's not necessary to move
the action in and out to get the best tone.

Wim