Educating Managers!!!!!!!1

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 18:58:05 -0800

Ron,
I think you did just fine, under the circumstances. However, that "JERK"
should be damned glad he didn't do that to me! As most of you know, I say
what I think, and let the chips fall where they may. If that had occured to
me I would have charged him DOUBLE my regular rate. And, when he gave me
guff about it, I would have immediately upped it to TRIPLE!!! When these
jerks pull that kind of stuff, they are disrespecting us and the entire
profession. They are totally aware of what they are doing and are simply
telling us that we are pond scum and don't matter. Let the little A**-H***s
put a concert on without us!
The problem is that most piano technicians are TOO nice, (That's why we get
along so well and are such a joy when we get together for our events!)
However, I believe most tuners are nice to a fault and generally let people
walk all over them, because they don't want to cause a problem.
As for "Rising to the Occasion", B.S.!!!! I don't need some jerksimple
testing my "mettle"!, thank you very much! There are occasions where things
like this are unavoidable. But those times are rare. Most musical
productions are planned, sometimes years in advance!!!! When that occasional
"oops", happens and I am treated with "RESPECT", I will definately "Rise to
the Occasion". Most times, they will be "dazzled" by how much I can
accomplish, in a VERY Short Time. That's not braggin'! That's 30 years of
working on the crap that no one else is willing to work on or just simply
doesn't know how, kind of experience.
The best emergency situation I have ever encountered, was a Blues Festival
at our WaterFront Park. The event coordinator was frantic, by the time he
got hold of me. I had just walked in the door, when he called. He had called
about a dozen guys and I was the first one that wasn't an answering machine
or a secretary/wife. He was in a real dither. One of the Steinway "S"
grands, (that doesn't stand for small<G>), was so bad that the musicians
were even complaining about it. <G> I was 35 miles away and said so. He
said: doesn't matter, I'll give you $100 cash and a bonus of $50 if you make
it here within a half hour. I was! As I walked up the ramp to the stage,
there was a big sign that read: "Please Park Your Attitude Here"! <G>
Needless to say, every one was helpful and respectful. I did the best I
could do, in 45 minutes and the "other band" playing on the other stage,
(speakers throughout the Park!)! I made it "less bad" and was rewarded for
my trouble and received buckets of appreciation from almost everyone. Made
my day!<G> Would I do that again? Derned tootin'! But, only when I know I am
being appreciated and RESPECTED for what I can do.
End of Rant!!!!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)