Fire Damage

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 17:37:53 -0800

The most knowledgeable technician, regarding fire/smoke damage, is James
Schmitt, RPT, Portland Oregon. The short answer is: "It depends on the type
and amount of fire the piano was in". Since most fires involve, (no pun
intended), plastics, the odds are the piano is "totaled".
However, my Daughter has a Yamaha P2, that was in a gymnasium fire. The roof
literally fell ON the piano. The treble end was on fire. The keys were on
fire. It took two feet of water to put out the gym fire. The piano was taken
out of the debris with a fork lift. It sat in the parking lot for 3 days.
During which time some well meaning soul opened the top to "let it air out",
and it rained inside the piano. The most REAL damage was done by the rain. I
acquired the piano for "cheap" and immediately took it apart, (completely).
The keytops were replaced. The case was refinished. The dampers were
replaced. The strings were cleaned and lubed with LPS-1, as were the
casters. That piano still has the "water mark" behind the original strings,
on the sound board, (about 24" up). It plays and sounds just fine. Some of
this I attribute to prompt dismantling and complete work on the action,
keys, keybed, etc. This is testament to how well Yamamas are built, (at
least those of the 70's & 80's), and what careful work can accomplish.
As to the grand, in question, I would recommend a direct call to Jim
Schmitt, giving him ALL the details.
BTW, Jim Schmitt will be giving a two part, (3hr), class on this and general
cleaning, at the 2003 Pacific NorthWest Regional Conference, March 27, 28 &
29. Hope to see many of you there. We are going to have a "killer
Convention"!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)