Fire Damage

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 22:35:17 EST

In a message dated 11/9/02 7:38:45 PM Central Standard Time,
joegarrett@earthlink.net writes:

> acquired the piano for "cheap" and immediately took it apart, (completely).
> The keytops were replaced. The case was refinished. The dampers were
> replaced. The strings were cleaned and lubed with LPS-1, as were the
> casters.

Joe

If you had to replace the damper felts, didn't you also have to replace the
hammers, and maybe even all the action parts?

Even if you didn't, I have three questions. How much would it have cost for
you to do this work for a customer? Did you put the piano back in the
condition it was in before the fire and water damage? Would you, in all
honesty, and with complete confidence, have sold this piano to a customer?

The work you describe sounds like about $3000, not counting what you paid for
it. Was the piano worth that much after you got done with it? Since the piano
belongs to your daughter, are you anticipating doing any more work later on?
Would you have told a customer what the piano had gone through, and would you
have gotten your money's worth?

Wim