Educating Managers

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 07:32:33 -0700

"It's more than excitement. It's what there is to stretch one's self=20
in learning what can be done in this trade when absolutely necessary=20
to fit in with all the other variables that would seem to prevent one=20
from doing what they deem appropriate and needed."

    Agree, Keith. I did what I had time to do, namely raise the pitch on =
the one section where it was needed, and do a mad dash through the rest =
looking for any notes that were out of line and putting them right.

"It's really incredible what little effort it takes to make something=20
happen when time is of the essence and still satisfy the situation."

    After sitting through the sound check, I thought the piano sounded =
like it didn't need any touch up anyway.

"The only language for the piano technician to know is that those in=20
charge are there to insure the show will go on, and that it's a much=20
larger reality than just a piano tuning for them."
   =20
    I realise that, but it still amazes me when people in the business =
of producing musical events expect you to tune while music is being =
played, people are shouting around you, etc.

"In a concert/recital venue, a person must work with what they're=20
given, not with what they want. You hope for a slice of the pie, but=20
thankful if only a taste is what you receive. The art of cutting=20
corners, so to speak, when all other options have been exhausted."

    Once again, I succeeded with the endeavor. What really got to me was =
when, after waiting around for almost three hours to do the touch up, =
the artist's manager expected me to work on the tuning while really loud =
music is coming out of the monitors on the stage right next to the =
piano. Hence the title of the posting.