Educating Managers

kam544@gbronline.com kam544@gbronline.com
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 07:28:10 -0600

>... although such jobs may add excitement for those who need
>more of it... Clyde Hollinger

Hi Clyde,

Two of your comments caught my interest.

I have occasion to be involved in real time tunings for various
concert/recital venues, most recently just yesterday.

It's more than excitement. It's what there is to stretch one's self
in learning what can be done in this trade when absolutely necessary
to fit in with all the other variables that would seem to prevent one
from doing what they deem appropriate and needed.

It's really incredible what little effort it takes to make something
happen when time is of the essence and still satisfy the situation.

>...it appears to me the
>piano technicians need to learn to speak a language that those in charge can
>understand ...

The only language for the piano technician to know is that those in
charge are there to insure the show will go on, and that it's a much
larger reality than just a piano tuning for them.

In a concert/recital venue, a person must work with what they're
given, not with what they want. You hope for a slice of the pie, but
thankful if only a taste is what you receive. The art of cutting
corners, so to speak, when all other options have been exhausted.

Being on the hot seat from time to time is a real privilege. Mind
you, I don't necessarily look forward to it when it happens, but when
it does and I receive the call, rising to the task is always a whole
other dimension of living and worth every single moment of the
experience.

Thanks for the opportunity to muse,

Keith McGavern