Educating Managers

Phil Bondi tito@philbondi.com
Sat, 09 Nov 2002 08:26:04 -0500

Kevin, I have to admit this tops my recent experience..with symphony players
no less.

-First show was last night - last rehersal(1st tuning) was Thursday night..

-The 'D' hasn't been touched since April..

-It's a 'tad' sharp, and I need to bring it down about 5 cents in an
hr.(good luck, right?)..

-approx. 20 minutes before rehersal(news to me at the time, of course), the
musicians(prima donnas) start wandering in, taking their respected places on
the stage, and commence to practicing while I'm trying to bring down the
piano.

-After stopping and staring a few times, I decided it was 'good enough' for
them. If these prima donnas didn't know by now that the piano tuner requires
a bit of peace and quiet to do his job, then "now" was not the time for me
to blow my stack and educate them.

-I figured 1 on 50 was a losing proposition...don't you?

-The Backstage Director agreed..and so did the Concert Master, who
apologized.

-I told him your 'Guest Artist' won't be very happy with my job today, but
it will be better for the shows.

-He understood.

At wits end with The Prima Donnas,

-Phil Bondi (Fl.)