Steinbach & Dreher

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 22:48:00 -0600

Appraising customer's upright for possible rebuild. Plate says:

    Steinbach & Dreher
       Rockford, Illinois

Serial # 81406

Pierce lists SteinBECK & Dreher, Rockford, IL and no further =
information.  They also list SteinBACH & Dreher, Toronto, Canada and =
only in biz between 1904 & 1910, no serial #'s as high as this one.

The Mason & Risch (AKA Winter, Aeolian, etc.) conglomerate made =
"Steinbach" pianos, possibly stencils. There serials don't match either.

This was a very solidly built player. Ivory keys. Very long keys give it =
a nice, big-grand touch. Soundboard pristine. Pinblock 60+ ... good =
cabinet already refinished.=20

Squarish legs and cabinet (Mission Style?) without any ornamentation or =
grillwork, etc,  so I'm guessing pre-WWI, maybe '20s. Customer is very =
curious and I might have a nice job here so if anyone has other info on =
this label, I'd appreciate passing it on. Thanks.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO