Bridge Notching Trouble-- Terry Farrells question

Fri, 8 Nov 2002 09:44:24 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Isaac OLEG=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: November 08, 2002 2:00 AM
  Subject: RE: Bridge Notching Trouble-- Terry Farrells question

  Never used the mthod myself but I've seen notchning done with a =
sanding machine (small band , called electric file)

I've done several bridges that way but went back to the chisel. I missed =
the sharp edges and the control of a sharp blade. Now, of course, my =
sharp chisels rotate at about 5,000 rpm.

  I believe the chisel I use is a carver's chisel, it is convex on its =
twoo sides the same amount .
When I do use a chisel it is a Japanese paring chisel. The blade is =
about 25 mm wide and very thin. About 5 mm? Certainly no more than that. =
It (the blade) used to be about 200 mm long. Now, from about 1,273,549 =
sharpenings, it's down to about 100mm long. The handel is also quite =
long, about 250 mm or so. The blade is of two metals--a soft iron =
backing bonded to an extremely hard cutting edge. The closest to my =
chisel that I can find in the current Japan Woodworker catalog is the =
#14.309.24 on page 35 (see =
http://www.thejapanwoodworkercatalog.com/c/g8/p/035f.html). I the =
blade/handle proportions are the same it appears that the blade of the =
current offering is about as long as mine is now. It is also about 2/3 =
the price that I paid in the mid-70s. Other than for the occasional =
sharpening it is unmodified.

  For the vertical side of the notch I use a large chisel modified to =
follow the curve, a rap of this one first, and the rounded chisel shave =
the notch at the speed I want, because the curved chisel allow to do =
very small shaves ar bigger one depending of the angle it is driven.
For the vertical side of the notch I use a plane iron similar to the =
Hock # 53.175.1 shown on page 15 of the current Japan Woodworker catalog =
(http://www.thejapanwoodworkercatalog.com/c/g8/p/015f.html).

  All these perfecly cutting (with a water stone and japanese stones for =
finishing) .
  I believe you have Arkansas stones in the USA, or are they coming from =
another place on earth ?

  I like the Japanese water stones but a truing block is necessary =
because they are generally soft.
I'm fundamentally lazy. I use a Makita powered water wheel. See =
http://www.makita.com/tools_Item_View.asp?id=3D61. Very fast and to a =
mirror finish.

Regards,

Del