pulley key repair kit

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 23:18:51 EST

Just bought the pulley key repair kit from Schaff.  Anybody have any
experiences with this, bad or good?

Looks basically like it would work.  There's a drill bit to bore a recess
into the bottom of the key surrounding the elongated balance rail pin hole,
into which you insert a little wooden donut which has a proper sized hole.

I seem to recall reading about a method of sawing into the bottom of the key
on the elongated side of the hole and inserting a piece of veneer to resize
it...  Whereas I'd probably screw that up, this seems do-able, even for a
klutz like me.

Any guidance is appreciated.  I hesitate to proceed further for fear that I
might irreversibly ruin this plywood-soundboard/no serial #/no name spinet
piano.

Just practicing,
Tom Sivak