Laser

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 23:34:32 +0100

Hello, Jon Page,

You write :
I was thinking in regards to a line from the tuning pin to
> the hitch pin,  not bridge height.

In what intention ? I cant' imagine how it could be worked out ? the
bridge hopefully will be in the way is not it ?. Explain me and I will
check it on a grand (plate off actually) soon.

The laser I have is mounted on a 2 bubble level, same kind than usual
(horizontal & vertical) , but there are many little useful
accessories, a mirror to shot at 90?, screws to fine tune the
direction of the laser, supports to align it on a thin plank or any
edge, little clamps, little goodies to use as an objective to align
more than 2 points, and so on...

the light being at 2 cm from the bottom of the tool, this dimension
can be reported and used, but I am not sure it is a good tool for
precise measurement, just eyeballing.

Problem is that the size of the laser light itself is a round light
approx 4 mm, and  the external of the light is not as clean as the
center.

I tried it to see if a keyboard was perfectly aligned, and it was not
really better than with a rule (while thinner differences in height
where immediately perceived).

Possible to use it as a letoff gauge (but I do that in the piano
actually)

Anyway it is a good tool, if you have to align holes  or drill on a
plank, you don't have to write on the plank to stay aligned. The laser
show when you are at the good place. You can use it to check any
alignment, but probably not to measure really.

I bet that eyes may be protected when working with it, glasses (red)
where included with mine.

 Regards,

Isaac OLEG