Boogie string breaker

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 14:40:30 EST

In a message dated 11/6/02 1:18:23 PM Central Standard Time,
mkurta@adelphia.net writes:

> Esteemed Colleagues:
>     A local dealer has asked this question:  He has a customer with a 1986
> Yamaha U1 studio piano.  Ever since the piano was new, bichord bass strings
> have been breaking on a regular basis, now about every sixth time it's
> played.  This problem was addressed under warranty by replacing all the
> bass strings, but it still occurs, even today.  The player admits to being
> very vigorous.  The strings break between the pin and pressure bar, leaving
> a 1 inch
>  stub.  Hammers?  Regulation?  Strings?  Any thoughts?  Thanks.....
>     Mike Kurta

As you said, the player is very rigorous. In my opinion, the player has to
accept the responsibility. He/she is not playing the piano it was meant to be
played. I wouldn't be surprised he/she had the same problem with other
pianos, and perhaps was talked into buying the U1, with the salesman claiming
he/she wouldn't break those strings, since it is a bigger piano.

You can reduce dip, or increase let off to just before the string. You can
also disengage the right pedal. But if he/she is that rigorous a player,
he/she will complain about the lack of power.

Wim