Follow-up tight Steinway action centers

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@attbi.com
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 15:03:24 -0500

List

            Follow up to my post concerning tight centers on the newish
S+S model M-"Permafree Centers"

            Since my last post I consulted with Steinway again this time
speaking with Kent Web. He suggested methanol or denatured alc w/5%
water. I used denatured and returned a few day's later finding most of
the centers acceptably free. Two were loose -with evidence of previous
repining. And 25 centers still too tight. Proceeded with the Maninno
reamers- repined with size 21 pin and the 052 reamer. As mentioned the
rep springs had to be regulated again, and I chose to leave the graphite
grease in place.

            Next time I might just ream and repin them all instead of
the alc treatment. The visits for applying the juice and returning took
as long as the repin job would take and I believe consistency would be
better.

            Satisfied client.

            Tom Driscoll

            P.S. Kent thought the reports of very loose centers after
the alc treatment could be caused by too much water in the mix. Again he
suggested 5% water to Alcohol