Bridge Tops & Epoxy

Wed, 6 Nov 2002 08:53:32 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 06, 2002 4:10 AM
Subject: Re: Bridge Tops & Epoxy

> Bottom line? Not clear whether West System or Epotec products are better
suited to piano work. It appears that the Epotec #337 may offer increased
strength/hardness over their #301. Anyone ever play around with both or all
three of these products?

They are quite different products. Epotek #301 is quite thin and is probably
suitable for applications that require penetration although what the company
touts about it is its optical clarity. Typically, this is not a
characteristic of high importance with the piano work in which epoxies are
most often used. Had I been able to get small samples from the company I
would have experimented with it and reported on it in my recent articles.
But I'd have had to buy more than I wanted for testing and time was running
short. As is, you'll have to go on others experience.

Gougeon Bros. products have a long history of successful application on wood
and wood structures ranging from boats to wind turbine blades to wooden
bridges. As do other wood-specific WEST epoxies such as System Three and
MAS. (The acronym WEST stands for Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique and is not
specific to epoxies only from Gougeon Bros. At least it wasn't the last I
heard--I vaguely recall a lawsuit over this some years back--I think Gougeon
lost.)

One day I still might experiment with Epotek products, but for the most part
I am quite happy with those wood-specific products I use now: Gougeon Bros.
WEST products, System Three and MAS. They are formulated for and are
intended to be used with wood. They are intended to mixed with various
fillers. They work.

Del