Bridge Tops & Epoxy

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 09:26:56 -0600

Terry Farrell asked:

"Heat activated? What exactly are you describing here.

Most any epoxy will cure more quickly when heated and most any epoxy will
decrease in viscosity when heated. Are you describing something beyond that?

I use West System epoxy. I don't know exactly how the two viscosities
compare. West System is about the same viscosity as most pancake syrups. I
have used it on bridge pins with great success."

My reply:

The Epotek 301 (lately sold by Ruth McCall) was a 24 hour cure, which means
another trip but noooo problem with working time. It is also about "syrup"
thick but under a gentle heat gun, it becomes very thin, like water, and man
does it flow into all the little cracks and crevices. On bridges, if you
fill the gaps then drive in a new, longer pin, it really forces a complete
fill of all the damage. Then, there is no globbing of goo on the bridge at
all---very little to scrape or sand off and no interference with a good
string seating. I think it's great but Ruth has gone out of business,
retired actually. And I would like another source for this product which,
incidentally, was developed  for electronic components and wiring in
satellites.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO