Drop

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 21:46:43 -0500

At 2:31 PM -0600 11/4/02, Bradley M. Snook wrote:
>>  > >-A larger amount of drop will increase the chances of the hammers
>checking
>>  > >properly, which also allows for springs to be set slightly higher.
>>
>>  hmmm.
>
>Try it out: once the action is in good condition, watch what happens when
>the drop is slightly raised or lowered. An excessively high drop will
>generally not check at ppp, but once the drop is lowered to a certain point,
>it is possible to get the hammer to check at ppp level consistently.

hmmmm. Checking at ppp, that's a new one on me. One way to insure
that check would happen consistently at ppp levels would be to move
the check up close enough to drop that the drop was holding the
hammer low enough for its tail to be within reach of the check. Like
checking at 10mm from the string and pushing drop town at least to
7mm or at least 8 or 9. Or keeping the drop up where it should be and
cramming the check within 2 or 4 mm of drop.

But I could be misunderstanding.

At 9:59 PM +0100 11/4/02, Richard Brekne wrote:
>Now that we are talking about ppp levels, I see your point. But I am
>not sure I
>have such strong whip rep spring strength that this is a problem.
>Besides... at
>really low levels of  play the hammer doesnt need to check, it just
>mustnt do a
>double take on the string.

The double take, stutter, blocking or whatever is another matter and
(I think) a real pesky cockroach. But it's good to go over the matter
of drop with a good flashlight

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Round here we don't talk unless we can improve on the silence."
     ...........Ron Rude, local Public Radio Commentator.