Drop

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:59:58 +0100

"Bradley M. Snook" wrote:

> Try it out: once the action is in good condition, watch what happens when
> the drop is slightly raised or lowered. An excessively high drop will
> generally not check at ppp, but once the drop is lowered to a certain point,
> it is possible to get the hammer to check at ppp level consistently.

Now that we are talking about ppp levels, I see your point. But I am not sure I
have such strong whip rep spring strength that this is a problem. Besides... at
really low levels of  play the hammer doesnt need to check, it just mustnt do a
double take on the string.

> >> -A small amount of drop will slightly increase repetition (i.e., the
> >>jackcan slip under the knuckle with less return of the key).
> >> Suppose this is right...tho I have always thought of this as

> << the less the jack travels after reaching escapement, the less distance it
> has to return >>
>

> But the same idea is true for the drop: with an excessive drop, the jack
> will be much higher than the repetition arm. The result is that the key will
> need to return a farther distance to allow the jack to reposition itself
> under the knuckle.

I see your point. Never thought of this actually and am glad for the thought.

> Would you please explain this further . . . I'm not sure I understand. What
> is a whip spring?

Sorry.. the repetition lever spring. I dont ever have this stronger then allows
for a slight feel in the key. This isnt very much tension in relation to the
checking problem we are discussing.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.