Drop

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 22:00:07 +0100

Depending of the playing, I consider 2 kind of repetition :

Repetition from the bottom of the key stroke, that should be available
as soon as possible as the key is released (used in the less strong
levels of tone, and in all weight based techniques).

Fast repetition in Forte playing, or staccato notes where the key is
totally released, and the hammer is then allowed to go back and
rebound on the cushion rest, the synchronization between the rebound
of the hammer and the speed of the remaining elements allow for more
strength and more speed.
(Used in techniques based on articulation and force, i.e. the impulse
given by the opening of the ankle when playing, and that, used to the
extreme have the pianist almost jumping from its seat).

Depending of the hardness of the rest cushion the level of the shank
may vary then . Anyway if the shank is too far from the rest, the
hammer is compressing the system  too much and the jack can't go back
in place at some speeds so I'd say that repetition is not helped in
this situation.

The drop screw when correctly positioned allow the jack to stay in
contact with the roller all along since aftertouch. That is what gives
that very special look and feel of the drop when we are regulating it.
There is indeed no other way to have a clear notch an optimum control
on the tone, that to have the 3 moments of contact happening together

Often on recent pianos, the rest cushion of the jack compress after
some playing, and the drop moment is delayed, it is necessary then to
have back the jack in place aligned under the roller, the drop leather
may well compress a bit too, so the lever cushion allowing for a
larger jack's clearance than necessary.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG

Izaak OLEG