Virus Source

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Mon, 04 Nov 2002 17:12:46 -0700

At 11:03 AM 02/11/02 -0800, Joe wrote:

>I think I found the Virus source, that infected my machine and is continuing
>to "attack" my machine. Everytime I log on to the Starlink Pianotech Chat
>line, my firewall alarm goes off. It seems to be coming from the same
>source, EVERY TIME! I've tried to contact the Starlink Security, but can't
>get through. Any one know how to navigate this and get them on to the
>intruder?

Starlink-IRC does a "port sweep" on every computer attached to it as a
security precaution. The Message Of The Day (MOTD) as you log on has warned
of that for quite a while now, though most people don't even know it's
there. This is not a virus or an actual attack on your computer, but rather
an attempt by the IRC "cops" at preventing the spread of viruses over their
IRC circuits by letting people know their computers are at risk. Your
firewall will complain all the time that you're "under attack", but if they
come from the same or similar address these probes are harmless and you can
ignore them. Once you've logged on, read the MOTD for more information as
it may even give you the IP address range that the pseudo-attacks use. If
you're not running a firewall the status window during your session should
tell you that you should install a firewall for your own protection.

I urge *everyone* who is using the internet in any way to visit
http://www.grc.com and use the "Shields Up" test to see if their computer
is  properly protected. Even those with dial-up connections should be
running ZoneAlarm or a similar freeware firewall.

As to the actual source of your virus, it could be a number of things other
than IRC. It's a lesson to all of us to use a really good virus checker
(like Norton for $20 over the WWW or the freeware program that has been
mentioned here) and keep your definitions updated regularly.

Hope to see you tomorrow night, Joe! Email me if you have more questions.

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
Pianotech IRC chats Tuesday and Thursday nights and Sunday Mornings
http://www.bigfoot.com/~kmvander/ircpiano.html