TINK

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 02 Nov 2002 13:49:16 -0400

Hi Alan,
I have never tried a splice with a smaller wire.
What I do, so that I have larger size wire pieces to use for a splice, is to save the ends, when I restring a bass section.
I have a selection, of 6" pieces, in order, in a little roll pack, it takes very little space, and is in my ready use tool bag.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Alan R. Barnard
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Saturday, November 02, 2002 3:35 AM
  Subject: TINK

  Had to unbridge all bass and many treble strings on Hamilton Studio to repair bridge cracks (heater bar, no humidistat ...)

  3 of the 5 heaviest bass strings and 6 of the heavier plain wires went "TINK" (you know the sound) --some as I was turning them down (loosening the wire), others while I was very carefully starting to tighten them. A becket breaking nightmare!

  That is some heavy, heavy wire: trying to form new beckets and get them in the holes is not fun. One I had to splice: Ever try tying knots in the core wire of a Hamilton A0 (1st string)? Here's the real question ...

  The biggest wire I had with me is #20 and it's smaller than whatever that stuff is in the A0 (didn't mic it but it's fat) ... with the knot above the speaking length, is there any problem with using a somewhat lighter wire, other than the potential for the "SNAP, TWANGGGGG, SPROIOIOIOING" of a breaking string if it can't take the tension?

  ... and, no, the strings and coils were not dusty, rusty, or crusty. Why did they break? Why me? Why late on a Friday afternoon an hour from home? I, myself, almost went snap, twang, sproing!

  Alan Barnard
  Getting Over It in Salem, MO