TINK

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 01:35:27 -0600

Had to unbridge all bass and many treble strings on Hamilton Studio to =
repair bridge cracks (heater bar, no humidistat ...)

3 of the 5 heaviest bass strings and 6 of the heavier plain wires went =
"TINK" (you know the sound) --some as I was turning them down (loosening =
the wire), others while I was very carefully starting to tighten them. A =
becket breaking nightmare!

That is some heavy, heavy wire: trying to form new beckets and get them =
in the holes is not fun. One I had to splice: Ever try tying knots in =
the core wire of a Hamilton A0 (1st string)? Here's the real question =

The biggest wire I had with me is #20 and it's smaller than whatever =
that stuff is in the A0 (didn't mic it but it's fat) ... with the knot =
above the speaking length, is there any problem with using a somewhat =
lighter wire, other than the potential for the "SNAP, TWANGGGGG, =
SPROIOIOIOING" of a breaking string if it can't take the tension?

... and, no, the strings and coils were not dusty, rusty, or crusty. Why =
did they break? Why me? Why late on a Friday afternoon an hour from =
home? I, myself, almost went snap, twang, sproing!

Alan Barnard
Getting Over It in Salem, MO