SAT III FAC Calculation Assumptions?

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 18:08:23 -0700

Dave, from what I've observed, in the bass the SAT will give you 6/3 =
octaves stretched about 1cent past pure. In the treble it seems to have =
the stretch calculated for a pretty much pure 4/1 double octave. It =
doesn't give you 2/1 octaves anywhere, if that's what you want you have =
to measure them yourself ( Which can be problematic; how do you know one =
of the notes won't drop while pulling in unisons). I've found that the =
SAT 3 increases the stretch in the middle of octave five so much that =
you can easily have noticeable beats in the double octaves on about six =
notes if you aren't paying attention. For what it's worth.=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dave Smith=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 6:43 PM
  Subject: SAT III FAC Calculation Assumptions?

  Those who have gone before,

  Can you offer an explanation of what the SAT III FAC calculation is =
intended
  to accomplish in the bass and treble, assuming a well scaled piano, =
accurate
  FAC measurements, etc, etc.

  In other words, is it trying to hit exact 6:3 octaves all the way down =
into
  the bass and exact 2:1 octaves all the way up into the treble?

  I am working on my aural skills and don't quite understand what is =
happening
  when I compare to the SAT stretches.

  I have read the Jim Coleman articles in 1997 PTG and the archive of =
postings
  here, but still am not sure what the FAC calculation is assuming (or =
trying
  for).

  Hope this isnt too mundane a question for you veterans.

  Dave Smith
  Pine Island FL