SAT III FAC Calculation Assumptions?

J Patrick Draine draine@attbi.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 20:08:07 -0500

On Thursday, October 31, 2002, at 08:43  PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> In other words, is it trying to hit exact 6:3 octaves all the way down
> into
> the bass and exact 2:1 octaves all the way up into the treble?

I *think* you'll find the bass octaves are slightly expanded from 6:3,
and the high treble is expanded from 2:1, probably closer to a 4:1
octave.
It should be quite easy to check a calculated tuning to see if this is
true. For example, after executing the FAC tuning on the piano, with
the SAT set on the calculated reading for A0, observe the display when
A0 is played (it shouldn't be rotating), then check note A1. The
pattern would be drifting very slightly sharp if the 6:3 octave is
expanded.
Likewise, with the FAC displaying for A7, play A6 and A5. If the A5 key
keeps the display stable you've got a 4:1 octave.
I'm not sure where (or if) this is documented.

Patrick Draine