SAT III FAC Calculation Assumptions?

Dave Smith dsmith941@hotmail.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 20:43:31 -0500

Those who have gone before,

Can you offer an explanation of what the SAT III FAC calculation is intended
to accomplish in the bass and treble, assuming a well scaled piano, accurate
FAC measurements, etc, etc.

In other words, is it trying to hit exact 6:3 octaves all the way down into
the bass and exact 2:1 octaves all the way up into the treble?

I am working on my aural skills and don't quite understand what is happening
when I compare to the SAT stretches.

I have read the Jim Coleman articles in 1997 PTG and the archive of postings
here, but still am not sure what the FAC calculation is assuming (or trying
for).

Hope this isnt too mundane a question for you veterans.

Dave Smith
Pine Island FL