Steinway key width

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Mon, 27 May 2002 04:33:23 +0200

List,
The more the sides are cleaned (sanded, or whatever), the wider the cracks.
The older the piano, the more the keys sides had been cleaned ?

Uncareful cleaning tend to leave a ugly keyboard.

Manufacturers may have different sizes too.

Regards

Isaac OLEG

  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]De la part de
Wimblees@AOL.COM
  Envoye : lundi 27 mai 2002 02:00
  A : pianotech@ptg.org
  Objet : Re: Steinway key width

  In a message dated 5/26/02 11:32:07 PM !!!First Boot!!!, Bigeartb@AOL.COM
writes:

    List:
        Are the keys on all Steinway pianos the same width. The pianist at a
    local church believes the keys on their 1925 rebuilt Steinway and the
keys on
    her Kawai are more narrow than the keys on the 1969 Steinway recently
donated
    to their church. I want to know the answer before I measure. I have
never
    ever had a client ask that question nor have I ever thought about it.
She
    claims she plays in the cracks of the keys. What a sound I am sure. I
    measured my Yamaha grand and the white keys measure 29/32".

    Tommy Black
    Decatur, Ala.

  This thread has been discussed before.  Keys do vary in width, even with
the same manufacturer. I am not a piano player, so I can't talk from
personal experience. But I have had several piano playing clients comment
about the variance in key width, although never to the extend that they
played "in the cracks."

  Wim