In defense of Liberace

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 22 May 2002 09:34:14 EDT

In a message dated 5/22/02 8:23:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
joegarrett@earthlink.net (Joseph Garrett) writes:

> Although he does not need defending, (in my mind anyway), I would choose to
> do so.

I think I would agree with your comments, Joe.  Given the choice between the
two, I'd rather hear and watch Liberace play Scott Joplin's "The Entertainer"
way too fast over the excruciating torture of Andras Schiff playing the
Moonlight Sonata with his foot planted on the pedal the whole way through
(the interpretation of Beethoven's "senza sordino" indication
notwithstanding).

By the way, those words in Italian mean "without mute", not "without mutes".
I wonder if this referred to some kind of moderator pedal rather than the
damper pedal as many people interpret it?

Anybody ever notice that when Liberace died, so did Baldwin?

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin