Stieff upright

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Wed, 22 May 2002 06:53:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Tom,

In my opinion, if I were going to rebuild an
upright piano, a Charles Stieff would be on my
top ten list of upright pianos I would like to
start with, perhaps my top five.

Yes, they did have some unusual things in some,
like you have described.  But that wouldn't stop
me.

I think they're very heavily and solidly built
and have one of the best tonal qualities that
I've heard in the "old upright" piano.  They were
a quality piano when new and even after almost
100 years, it would seem it's still doing pretty
well where many have been hauled to the dump.

With the right care along the way, I wouldn't be
at all suprised to see that piano see 2103.  It
might have a new soundboard & pinblock along the
way, and some other stuff, but survive,
nonetheless.

Just one opinion.

Good luck,