Info on 1890 Ivers and Ponds piano

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Fri, 17 May 2002 11:58:18 -0300

Hi Cy,
You certainly came up with a large quantity of information, for Mary Beth.

However, the section below, where you mention, "birdcage", is in error for
North America.
The "birdcage", from my understanding, was a European product, so "most", is
probably not an accurate statement.
Having said that, I have been wrong before, and maybe this is another time.

Wouldn't it be nice, if there was also, a grammar checker, as well as a
spell checker. That statement is applying to my writings, and just an
afterthought.

Best regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca

Big Snip

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cy Shuster" <charter1400@charter.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: Info on 1890 Ivers and Ponds piano

> Dear Mary Beth,
>
> I'm just learning piano technology; I've been on this mailing list for six
months or so.  The best I can do is point you to other resources.

> My general sense from reading this list is that Ivers and Ponds was a good
quality brand, however there were thousands of upright pianos made around
the turn of the century which are still available all around the country,
surprisingly enough.  Most had a so-called "birdcage" action, which was not
a good design.  Uprights in general have very little resale value, while
grand pianos made before 1920 or so have a high value.  Uprights are
generally not worth rebuilding (and most need new strings and hammers after
50 years), while grands are.