Grand Hammer Flange Center Friction

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 16 May 2002 10:33:53 +0000

Hi Terry,

Wow that's high. 4 gms. That's about 4 swings.  The test I use is the one
that many Yamaha tech's use.   The shank and flange should hold horizontal
under it own weight,  the flange should then drop smartly ( not creep,
that's too tight) with the addition of the flange screw. Once you get to
really know your broaches, you just know the feel of the desired friction.
Another tip listen carefully when repinning, (before and after), you can
train yourself to hear a lack of friction.

Regards Roger

At 07:40 AM 5/16/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Roger Jolly - are you using 5 - 7 grams friction in the hammer flange
centers as a general target? I know you like your centers a bit tighter
than some recommend. How many swings does that come out to? Thanks.

>Terry Farrell
>
>Oops - sent originally with Yamaha flange cord subject line.

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.
Saskatoon/Regina.
Canada.