Jenn-you whine Steinway Parts

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 11 May 2002 16:49:06 -0700

All,
For as long as I have been in this business, Steinway has always charged
more for comparable parts. I personally don't mind paying the extra bucks,
if the parts are of the "high quality" that makes a Steinway a Steinway.
However, ever since they went to their new hot press hammer presses, their
hammers are garbage, IMHO! Yes, I have tried them and every time I do, I
regret it! As for Renner Blue hammers, or any other hammer, for that matter,
IF it needs 20-30 jabs, with needles, on the shoulders, that is, IMO a
poorly made hammer, IMHO. I HATE sticking needles in hammers! It should not
be necessary, in order to get decent tone. For that reason, I have used,
almost exclusively Ronsen Hammers. And, now that Ray is offering "European"
felt, as an option, I will not use anything else. Yes, Abel hammers are
good, but don't quite give the type of tone I want. The Renner Blues are
basically made with good materials, but are too hard for my taste.
None of this is "Bashing", but rather MY opinion. I have the greatest regard
for all of these companies, with one exception: Steinway.
As long as I've known my mentor, he told has told me from the get-go, that
Steinway had/has "a cavalier attitude" towards what technicians think, etc.
I believed it then and I still believe it. Steinway could really give S- - -
, what we think, and the "what you see, is what you get""take it or leave
it" attitude, by them, is appalling, IMHO This "attitude" is why there is so
much "bashing" going on. The design is there, they just need to get it
right. Especially for what they charge for that "sacred" cow.
End of Rant!

Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)