1969 Steinway L CBS?

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Sat, 11 May 2002 19:38:39 -0400

In a message dated Sat, 11 May 2002  5:10:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no> writes:

>Kdivad@AOL.COM wrote:
>
>> Because you haven't worked on pianos with the same problems does not mean they don't exist, when someone as experienced as Terry discovers problems in certain model and certain vintage pianos I take it seriously.
>
>I do too... as I mentioned. But that doesnt mean I cant express my own differing experience.... whos posse is whos posse ??

There is a difference between expressing ones experiences and stretching someones statement for your own purposes such as when you took Terrys statement as a condemnation of all Steinway
pianos.

>> I have experienced the same problems with the same pianos.  Does this mean that Steinway doesn't produce good instruments, not at all, it just means that Steinway has produced some not so good pianos. The Steinway bashing comments I mentioned have been going on as long as I have been on this list and I was not refering to Yamaha bashing "so lets keep our poker decks seperated from our pinochle decks if you dont mind."
>
>yes lets do.... you said....
>
>"As a technician who works on a lot of Steinways I find it amazing that we can not even discuss the problems at Steinway without it being called condemnation or bashing"
>
>And I replied that I didnt single out any particular pianos to defend in the thread about bashing quality pianos,,,, and further I stated  that that particular post was stimulated by a comment on Yamahas not being made as well as some other asian pianos. And on top of that the post was taken up on in the humorous spirit it was made by a couple other folks and we had a nice chuckle about it.  So I fail to see where your above sweeping generalization fits in the present discussion.

I will say again, I was not talking about your thread on bashing started with Yamahas, I specifically pointed out your and Terrys latest thread which had nothing to do with Yamaha.  Apparently you cannot seperate the two different threads.  A chuckle about a different thread has nothing to do with what I have been talking about.  I started with generalities but became very specific when responding to you.

>> To quote you "From your experience you feel justified in condemning what the vast majority of pianosts clearly recognize as the best,"  this is a prime example of a Steinway bashing comment.  Terry never condemned all Steinways, he just pionted out the problems he has had with one model, one vintage.
>>
>> David Koelzer
>> DFW
>
>David.... We seem to disaggree as to what constitutes bashing and what constitutes constructive criticism.

Will you please explain what is constructive about your statement?  Are you constructively criticising him about something he never said?

 I am content with to leave things on that level myself. Terry can and does speak quite well for himself. And I dont think he read any animosity or anything more then my usual tongue in cheek for that matter from the quote you decided to take out of its context.

I am quite sure Terry can speak for himself and do not have any idea if he felt animosity. I am speaking only for myself and expressing my opinion as to some of the responses recieved by whoever may choose to point out some of the problems encountered with Steinway and Steinway pianos.
If I truly did take it out of context, please put it in context for me Richard.

>Keep a smile on :)
>
>Cheers !
>RicB
>
>--
>Richard Brekne
>RPT, N.P.T.F.
>Bergen, Norway
>mailto:rbrekne@broadpark.no
>http://home.broadpark.no/~rbrekne/ricmain.html

Richard, don't you know, you always keep me laughing :)
Chow! (dang thats hard for a Texas boy to use)

David Koelzer
DFW