1969 Steinway L CBS? - fine tools site

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 12 May 2002 00:03:11 +0200

Avery,

The diskant is the section before the high treble (before last section in a
Steinway grand) octave 5- 6

You are lucky with your glue, it is surely first grade, or your pianos are
never in a very dry environment.

I can say that on all S&S hammers glued with hot glue AND under severe
climatic conditions (public places without a good moist control) , all the
pianos I see have hot glue joints that breaks.

I used to glue hammers with hot glue to, and I believe that I did not see
them ungluing, or a very few hammers, but I am beginning to be more
cautious, as I've seen pianos hammers totally unglued (well, the 2/3), and
people here are not easily buying Damp Chaser for their instruments.

I wish we could educate them more, but at the moment I glue the hammers I
often don't know where the piano will be.

It is not easy to found very good hot glue actually. Believe me I like it
and use it a lot, but for hammers I give a break - for the moment.

Expanding glue is useful for shimming too I've find.

BTW, if you want to have a look (or may be crack and buy some) at 1st class
wood working and violin making tools, have a look at :
http://www.dick-gmbh.com/Firma/Firmainhalt.asp

I have some from there - their glue is top class, and I've bought little
linden brushes for glue that are very handy (& a stone to clean & dress my
sharpening waterstones).

Regards.

Isaac OLEG