Jenn-you-whine Steinway parts

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 11 May 2002 23:39:11 +0200

Hello

In the medium, actual Renner hammers (since 3 or 4 years) generally need no
more than 20 to 30 POWERFUL deep pricks on each shoulder as for their 'first
voicing'.

If that is not done, the tone will stay dense and open not.
But we are lucky that this initial treatment can be done even many years
after the piano have been played.

Then more high (somewhat deep) needling will be necessary to allow the
hammer to expand towards the top too, and to get rid of the internal
hardness under the crown.

If the shoulders have been needled too much, and you can't feel the
vibration of the note in the key while holding it lightly, then one have to
restore power by 'destroying the base of the hammer to stiffen the low
shoulders. Short sharp jabs horizontally in the base to break the felt and
move the tension higher.

There I believe staples are necessary, that is probably why Renner blue
hammers can't give 'European tone' (while being nice hammers)

That is all a matter of being stress free & power, and a way to listen to
imagine the state of the hammer, and needle while imagine the future sound.

If that helps someone, I'll be happy.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG