1969 Steinway L CBS?

Sat, 11 May 2002 20:53:29 +0200

Kdivad@AOL.COM wrote:

> As a technician who works on a lot of Steinways I find it amazing that we can not even discuss the problems at Steinway without it being called condemnation or bashing. I like Steinways but they are not my master, if there are problems that a lot of us have run into why not discuss them.  They become hard to discuss when as soon as you bring one up the Steinway posse jumps all over you.  As Terry stated he has much respect for Steinway, which shows the pressure to preface our criticisms.  We discuss the problems of a lot of piano manufacturers but none of them bring up the defenses like Steinway, though Yamaha is building momentum (not including grey pianos). Most of the posse members will choose to ignore or dismiss the facts behind some of Steinway criticisms.
>
> David Koelzer
> DFW

Sorry, but I dissagree... I have no problem discussing problems with any particular piano. I work on a lot of Steinways as well and have not experienced anything like the reports Terry has. Tho to be sure the folks at Steinway are as human as anyone else. Terry and I exchange a lot of goodhearted posts both on and off the list so he knows I have all the worlds respect for him. I would love to get a chance to see some of the instruments he talks about, and try and make some sense out of it all.  I have no doubt he's run into a string of them, and there has to be a reason for this to be sure. I just dont think its because Steinway doesnt manufacture good instruments.

The bashing thread  was in reference to several makes (Including Yamaha) being taken to the cleaners, so lets keep our poker decks seperated from our pinochle decks if you dont mind. The fact that the bashing thread was initiated in response to a Yamaha related criticism attests to the fact that the defense of qualitity manufacturers is not at all limited to Steinway.

Constructive criticism is fine in anyones book me thinks. So is constructive dialouge.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.