1969 Steinway L CBS?

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 11 May 2002 20:12:52 +0200

Terry,

Now that I begin to have a somewhat bigger back of tricks than , say 20
years ago, when I find an instrument that I feel is willing to give some
musical quality and pleasure to the owner, I am much more accepting a lot of
problems as lousy regulation, insufficient voicing, problems due to age or
bad condition (extra damp or dry), etc, and I will fight (well , not too
hard) to obtain an instrument that gives pleasure to me and the owner.

Happily, it is often a matter of a few hours, to shape a bit the hammers,
mate to strings, check regulation fast, give back some resiliency in the
hammers, tune, voice, and then all the remaining quality that was intended
to be there when the piano was build begin to show.

Sometime this work have never really been done, and the piano sound almost
as if it where new.

But I believe I know the feeling you have, it is mostly frustration of not
being able to have an enough good result while working on supposed good
pianos. Then you accuse the crown, down bearing, capo noise, bridge pins,
and so on ..
Don't take it bad, I've done the same before.

There is an only answer : learn to do the things at the best level possible.
You will see that all is much simple after that (but it still is hard work
sometime).

Take care ,

The best

Isaac OLEG