1969 Steinway L CBS?

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 11 May 2002 10:23:17 EDT

Terry writes:
>but mostly MHO is based on the group of maybe 20 or 30 Steinway verticals
>that I have run across over the past few years while servicing pianos.
>Almost every one (and I can't recall one that didn't) had some portion
>(some, multiple items) of a combination of cracked bridges, lots of excessive
>string noise, poor hammer alignment (and other action components), way
>out of regulation, poor string terminations, poorly performing dampers
>- the type of things that one sees while tuning and lead one to feel that
>the piano is quite worn out for its age. Yamaha verticals that I see from
>this era are mostly in very good condition, with few if any of the
aforementioned
>problems, or at least to a significantly less degree.

  I think I have the same comparison.  I also have two Steinway uprights from
the early 1890's that have great sounding soundboards and  after replacing
non-durable parts like hammers and dampers, the actions are in fine shape
too.  A technician friend was just given a 1893 Steinway upright that only
needs the keybed felt replaced,(moths), otherwise, she says it is in near
perfect shape and needs only tuning and light regulation.  They weren't all
bad!!
   We also have several Yamaha verticals at the school that have been in
constant use since the late 1960's and the are just beginning to "wear out",
but are still serviceable.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT