Just Intervals?

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 9 May 2002 13:14:03 EDT

>Very few string players actually play just major thirds. If they did, the
> resulting half - steps would be so roundly criticized by peers, they would
>be  professionally forced to abandon the practice. Most strings players have
>been  taught (myself included) that the requirements of closer "leading
tones"
> means that the "just" major third is wider than the tempered major third.

Greetings,
   It seems that we have some cross usage of the words here.  "Just" isn't
wider than tempered, unless you are tempering M3's narrow.
    Aside from ensemble practise,  I would like to know what a string player
does when playing a major third all by themselves, as in double stopping?  Or
even a fifth?  How about the "justness" of these intervals when performed on
one instrument?
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT