EBVT Electronic Tuning Data

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 8 May 2002 10:12:22 EDT

List,

In the interest of getting a consensus on what the correction figures for the
EBVT should be, I offer 3 representative sets of actual figures I use from my
SAT.  Note that these are the actual figures I use to tune the piano with,
not deviations from an SAT program.  I don't know if these figures can be
used with Tunelab or RCT or not.  With the SAT, it is very important to use
the correct partial setting.  If you program these figure onto a page, you
will have to manually change the partial selection at C4 from C6 to C5 or the
results will be incorrect.

My assumption is that if you use these figures to tune a temperament octave,
you could then program the FAC mode as usual and see what difference there is
from what has been tuned and what is provided by the FAC program.  The
difference would then be the elusive correction figures for the EBVT that so
many people have asked for.

I think Ron Koval and Robert Scott may have worked on this.  I suggest that
the people who are interested in this try these sets of figures on various
pianos and come up with a consensus of what will consistently produce an EBVT
according to what the aural instructions in my website say.  The last set of
figures I saw with C being a +6 or so seemed to high to me but I could be
wrong.

The beating of the 3rds is essentially what you'd hear from ET, just
rearranged and in nice proportions that the ear likes to hear:  6, 8, 9, 12.

Intervals which beat at 6 beats per second:

F3-A3,  G3-B3,  G3-E4,  C4-E4

Intervals which beat at 8 beats per second:

A3-C#4,  Bb-D4

Intervals which beat at 9 beats per second:

F#3-A#3,  Ab3-C4

Intervals which beat at 12 beats per second:

B3-D#4, Db4-F4

There are 4 pure intervals:

F3-Bb3 (also Bb3-F4),  F3-C4 (also C4-F4), F#3-C#4, & Ab3-Db4

The figures below are from 3 representative pianos with High, Moderate and
Low Inharmonicity, respectively.  The High is a Steinway L but these figures
will work on any Steinway grand, probably the verticals too and many other
high inharmonicity instruments.

The Moderate is a Walter grand and are the figures which won the Temperament
Festival contest at the 1998 Convention in Providence.  They could be used on
any Yamaha or other moderate inharmonicity piano.

The Low figures are from  Kawai KG-2D which is used in a medium sized theater
here in Madison and have been in use for 10 years now, being the only way
that piano has ever been tuned for whatever kind of music which has been
played on it (many different kinds).  These figures will also work on a 7 or
9 foot Baldwin, a Mason & Hamlin or any other Kawai or low inharmonicity
piano.

Note that the figures do not vary much from one type of piano to the other.
You'll have to create your own octaves.  See my website for information on
how to create the Tempered Octaves I use.  Good luck and please let me know
your reactions to the results.  Please report your correction figures
findings to the List so that a consensus may be developed.  When I am
satisfied with figures that seem to work consistently, I will publish them on
my website.

All Values are read on Octave 5  (very important)

        High    Moderate   Low
F3     2.5      2.0          1.5
F#3  -3.0      -2.5         -2.0
G3    4.0       3.5          3.0