1969 Steinway L CBS?

Wed, 08 May 2002 16:13:20 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> Reasonable point. But what is one to conclude when 30-year-old brand X pianos regularly have loose action part, poor alignment, rubbing this and that, way out of regulation, many string noises, uneven tone, etc. -

That its either not a Steinway... or its being poorly cared for.

> and brand Y regularly have near new-looking and performing actions, great tuning characteristics, nice tone, etc.?

That the asseser is either severely biased or the piano comes from a different planet.

> No one 30 year-old piano tells the whole story of a manufacturer, but dozens and dozens from the same manufacturer with very similar characteristics start to present a clear picture.

Well I simply dont know what to say Terry... I have never run into Steinway after Steinway that consistantly show poor quality, have total slopp for actions,  string buzzes and falsness, or uneveness of tone where ever you look.

I have run into some asian piano makes that after ten years  moderate use sound like a used bathtub from one of the housing projects in Columbia..... but thats probably because I have just run into the bad ones....

> Terry Farrell

Grin... I guess we cant agree on everything eh ?? But you're still my political favorite !! :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.