Sherman Clay Grand

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Fri, 3 May 2002 09:33:35 -0500

>...About 3 weeks ago a bass string broke.
>Then another, now another...Any others experience this?  Are we in for one
>at a time breaks?  Should I recommend replacing the whole set?
>
>Gary, RPT

Gary, List,

The limited experience I've had with persons who are capable of doing
this due to their unique playing style break Universal type, Mapes
type and the originals that have been spliced. This is even after
doing regulation modifications to minimize power, and the player
having sound amplification at their beckon call.

I have also replaced an entire set of bass strings from a
manufacturer and within two months the player at the time still
managed to pop 'em.

My final recommendation to the clients was to have the expense come
out of the player's pocket to eliminate the breakage. In one instance
they declined to do such a thing and eventually purchased a keyboard
and eliminated the piano. In another instance they have not had me
back. and in one other instance it was the pastor's wife, so they
live with the outcome.

Sincerely,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician