Bass strings/Willem's response

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Wed, 1 May 2002 22:14:45 EDT

In a message dated 5/1/2002 12:46:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:

                              Willem
       Denial is a wonderful coping mechanism! Grin. I've used it alot.
     If a string has lost all its stretch it has nominal resilence and
doesn't suffer over pulling much in the pitch raise or tuning process. Accept
in poorly scaled  pianos the strings in the treble are not at any higher
tension than any place in the tenor/treble sections. Frequently uprights have
huge tension jumps in the scale usually just before a wire size change. These
are often the first too snap dampers or not.
    You make a good case for fatigues because as you say the wires do not
commonly break in the middle but almost always at the termination , tuning
pin or bridge pin, where the wire expeiences the most retriction of its
movement and subsequent fatigue/ breakage.
   Nominal playing as you say cetrainly reduces the fatigue factor unless
design defects are present. Also a factor for string breakage in the treble
is little bitty hard hammers and a quicker traveling wave. The string doesn't
have time to recover from its distoration as its played in the rapid fashion
you mention.
   Just my two cents worth