Curve on Bridge Bottom

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Wed, 1 May 2002 22:37:49 EDT

In a message dated 4/29/2002 8:34:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
RNossaman@KSCABLE.com writes:

>                  Terry and other interested folks

      While dry fitting a 1927 S&S L board today I was thinking about your
question as to bridge curvature in the bottom of bridges so I thought I'd
take a few measurements.
   Prior to fitting the board in the case there is no evidence of crown along
th bridge line.Non can be seen or measured. After dry fitting in the case
with a few clamps it took on a great deal of crown along the bridge line. I
was so take by this I took a number of digital photos with a long straight
edge along the bridge line.There was probably a good 5/8ths of an inch  gap
at each end of the straight edge. This crown was nice and hemispheical . Even
taking into account the modest diaphramizing this is alot and obviously
intentional. The rasten/inner rim is cut this way intentionally.
     The bridge ,not glued on yet was laid on the board in its location.
Though it has some crown cut into it , it is not as much as the dry fit
boards crown induced by simply clamping to the rim. Very interesting ehhh??
    Never the less to my mind the board will flatten out less with the bridge
in a crowned configuration than a flat cut bridge, providing the bridge is
glued to the board on a crowned suface as I described previously. However
nominal this bridge support may be it has to resist bearing at least to some
degree. I'll take whatever I can get.